- Harou Xue - Electrical Engineering
- Yuhan Zhang - Electrical Engineering
- Cheyenne Herrera - Math/Engineering
The goal of our project is to create a miniature version of a Tesla. We wanted to increase the safety of the self-driving car by implementing rear-end collision prevention as well as apply the lane change safety. The Donkey RoboCar will stop itself when approaching an object in the front using a TOF sensor mounted to it. Additionally, the car will speed up if a vehicle/object is approaching it from behind. Furthermore, the RoboCar will implement lane change on command.
- Jetson Nano with fan and wirless card installed
- PCA9685 PWM (control servo and ESC)
- Steering Servo (control steering)
- Electronic speed controller (ESC) (control throttle)
- Relay (provide emergency stop)
- LED (show emergency stop status)
- USB camera
- Arduino (for connecting ToF sensor)
- Time-of-flight sensor (ToF)
- Lidar and USB controller
We use the Donkey Car framework for car control. With the framework, we can easily train deep learning autonomous driving models by recording manual driving. The frameworks use modularized "parts" to manage all the components in a car. When the car runs, it loops through all parts that have been added to it. Our project involves new sensors, ToF and Lidar, that have not been included in Donkey. They should be added to Donkey in the form of parts.
We connect the Lidar and ToF(Arduino) using serial ports. We need to add our user to a group that has access to serial ports. <source lang="bash">sudo usermod -a -G dialout jetson</source>
We are using YD Lidar X4 There is a python library PyLidar3 that supports this model.
To use the PyLidar3 library Create an instance and connect <source lang="python3"> lidar = YdLidarX4("/dev/ttyUSB0") lidar.Connect() </source> Scan <source lang="python3"> scans = self.lidar.StartScanning() for scan in scans:
for i in range(360): self.scan[i] = scan[i]
</source> Stop Lidar and disconnect <source lang="python3"> lidar.StopScanning() lidar.Disconnect() </source>
How Donkey works